Last updated: 10 August 2018
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information to carry out functions or activities which are directly related to the business in which we are in.
Personal information of our members will only be disclosure to a third party upon receipt of written approval to only provide email address of the member.
Collection of your personal information
At all times we try to only collect the information we need for the particular function or activity we are carrying out.
The main way we collect personal information about you is when you give it to us. Therefore, at the time of becoming a member, you will be asked the following information:
- First name
- Family name
- Preferred name
- Email address
- Date of Birth
- Telephone number
For example, we collect personal information such as contact details and complaint, review, request, data breach notification or report details when you:
- contact us to ask for information (but only if we need it)
- make a complaint about a privacy breach to us
- make a complaint about the way another member of Writer on the Web has treated you online
- report a matter on illegal activity
Collecting sensitive information
This website should not have any reason to collect sensitive information about you. By sensitive information we mean: information about your health, racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, association memberships, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, criminal history, genetic or biometric information. Any communication which appears to come from Writer on the Web requesting such sensitive information should be discarded/deleted or handled with caution and considered as an illegal activity – in particular any such email should be considered as not coming from Writer on the Web.
Disclosure of sensitive information
We would only disclose your sensitive information if your writing has breached our Code of Conduct and your writing is used for the following unlawful purposes:
- Incite racial hatred
- Incite acts of terrorism
- Incite acts of religious hatred
- Incite acts of violence
Email lists, registrations and feedback
We will collect information that you provide to us when signing up to mailing lists and registering for our events, or when submitting feedback on your experience with our website.
Quality of personal information
To ensure that the personal information we collect is accurate, up-to-date and complete we:
- record information in a consistent format
- promptly add updated or new personal information to existing records
- regularly audit our contact lists to check their accuracy.
We also review the quality of personal information before we use or disclose it.
Social Networking Services
We use social networking services such as Twitter and Facebook to communicate with the public about our work. When you communicate with us using these services we may collect your personal information, but we only use it to help us to communicate with you and the public. The social networking service will also handle your personal information for its own purposes. These services have their own privacy policies. You can access the privacy policies for Twitter and Facebook on their websites.
Storage and security of personal information
We take steps to protect the security of the personal information we hold from both internal and external threats by:
- regularly assessing the risk of misuse, interference, loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of that information
- taking measures to address those risks, for example, we keep a record (audit trail) of when someone has added, changed or deleted personal information held in our electronic databases and regularly check that staff only access those records when they need to
- conducting regular internal and external audits to assess whether we have adequately complied with or implemented these measures
We will store you information for six (6) months after your registration and membership has expired. If you details are not renewed, we destroy personal information in a secure manner when we no longer need it.